TDM – Targeted Direct Mail using the USPS
Targeted Direct Mail is mail send to a specific sets of addresses that may or may not be in the same geographic area. With this type of mail, you can send direct your mail to residences or businesses with a specific set of demographics. such as age, estimated income, homeowner, value of home, vehicle owner, type of vehicle or presence of children.
Targeted direct mailings can also be quite effectively used to:
- Distribute advertising or marketing materials,
- Distribute coupons or other sales promotions,
- Direct customers to your website or Facebook page,
- Promote special events, or
- Publicize store hours or new locations.
Targeted direct mailings have the following advantages:
- Targeting: TDM pieces can be sent to each and every address that meets the demographic requirements,
- Wide Coverage Area: The mailings can be directed to any address in the country,
- More Personal: By using variable data printing, the mailer can be personalized with the recipient’s name,
- Better Response: Personalized mailers get better response.
The USPS requirements for the most commonly used letter-sized pieces include:
- Length: Must be between 5.0 and 11.5 inches.
- Height: Must be between 3.5 and 6.125 inches
- Thickness: Must be between 0.007 and 0.25 inches subject to a flexibility test.
- Weight: The maximum weight is 3.3 ounces for standard class and 3.5 ounces for first class.
- Aspect Ratio: The ratio of length to height must be between 1.3 and 2.5.
Although TDM typically uses letter-sized pieces, larger flats or thicker parcels can be used. Contact the Customer Service Representatives in any of our stores for details.
The USPS has very specific regulations in place for the TDM product which encompass mail piece preparation, mail piece sorting & traying and generating the proper paperwork. At Minuteman Press of the Lehigh Valley, we have the proper software and knowledge to process your mail properly so that it requires the lowest possible postage.
Reference documents for TDM include the following: